Friday, March 23, 2007

Spay Surgery : Are we doing the right thing?

My dear furkid Snow is scheduled to have her spay surgery tomorrow morning. Today evening despite all the excitement at work, I rushed back home by 6pm to make sure we arrived home in time to take her out for favourite activity - barking at our neighbour's cats. Then, gave her a good meal and lots of water. She had to start fasting starting 8pm. CY even fed her some fruits to make sure she won't get dehydrated as she can't drink any water from 8pm onwards till tomorrow. How does a hyperactive pup do without water the entire night?

We both can't sleep tonight, me and snow. She is staring at me now while I am typing this. I wonder what is she thinking. But i know what I'm thinking now. Are we doing the right thing?? Letting her suffer through the surgery. Eventhough the vet doctor told me that it would be minor. But they will have to give her aneastatic. It would probably be hurtful for her. I hated aneastatic the most, especially the after-effect of it. Why do we do this to our lovely dog?

When we adopted her from SPCA last year, giving her a spay surgery was one of the promise we made to SPCA. Being the Society of Prevention of Cruelty to Animal, I don't think they would categorise this surgery as cruelty...i am just trying to comfort myself...are we worrying too much? Or do we love Snow too much that we can't even bear the thoughts of putting her through this painful surgery? I am worried now - would she recover easily? would she suffer? would she be the same cheerful, playful pup after this?

*sigh*

We could just pray that God will see her through. And pray that this is the right decision.

1 comment:

Natasha Fernz said...

Hi there

Just to let you know that you are doing the right thing...It's so easy to manage Cleo now, cause we never have to worry about her being on heat, and so we can always take her with us anywhere anytime. It's also better for them health wise if you know for sure that you don't want puppies.

And of course it saves you the agony of cleaning up after Snow for about 2/3 weeks twice a year.

I understand how you feel. My Cleo was the first dog I ever spayed intentionally at a young age. I worried like hell for a whole week before the surgery. But trust me, they are tougher than you think.

You will actually find that the main problem is that they don't feel the pain from the surgery. So it will be quite a job to keep Snow quiet for 10 days (minimum recovery time...). She must not run, jump or walk up and down the stairs too much.

Give her at least 3000mg of Vitamin C a day for two weeks to help speed the healing process...

Let me know if you need anymore tips.